Saturday, November 12, 2011

A peaceful holiday

From my greeting card line

 I'm already hearing grumbling about xmas. The usual complaints about stress, money... I used to be a grumbler too. But I've learned to change the things that don't work anymore. Don't hate me, but my shopping is done, I'm singing xmas music along with the radio, my Charlie Brown xmas tree went up yesterday and I'm not cooking.

There was a time I loved having xmas in my home. I'd cook and clean for days to get ready. I looked forward to a large family gathering. It was fun. And I was one of those shoppers who started looking for the perfect gifts in Sept. These are happy memories for me. But I've lost many of my family members, my love for cooking big meals has expired, and too much shopping is stressful. As much I miss the old traditions, there was a price to pay. So I used to grumble.

 Every year seems to brings another new change, but I've learned to roll with it. I've found ways to be kind to myself during the holidays by making good choices about what works for me. I still love getting together with my family, buying special gifts and eating lots of good food.

Are you still clinging to your old ways? Is it causing you stress? Are you dreading the holidays? Are you the perfect gift buyer? Is money tight? Be willing to change the things that don't work. Ask yourself what's really important? Family, love, peace...

**********

My son Jeremy, my sister Penny and me

*******

"Life is meant to be enjoyed"