Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Relationships can be messy

Soulful living means whatever you do, do it with all of your heart.

********

Our relationships, with both men and women, can be rewarding, puzzling, heart-warming, and aggravating, depending on the moment. I'm not claiming to be a relationship expert because I'm not. But there are some fundamental things I've practiced with good success, that might be helpful.

Relationships should nourish, as well as challenge us.

Be honest when you share.
Beware. It may get a little messy when you stop people-pleasing.
 But messy is underrated. In the long run, it builds intimacy.

I'll let you in on a secret. Put my partner and I in a car together,
we resort to acting like five-year-old siblings.
Road trips entail a lot of harmless childish bickering and finger pointing.
It's healthy for our relationship, to be free to play as children do, with each other.

Don't agree with someone to make them happy. 
Unless you want to lose their respect.

Be vulnerable. It's your most endearing asset.

Choose healthy people to be in relationships with, avoiding unnecessary injury to yourself.

Give those you love, lots of room for error. Keep your heart soft and forgiving.

And most importantly, love yourself first.

*********
I confess, I had to almost beg for this photo shoot. Jack was very reluctant to have his picture taken with a bunch of penguins. Who can blame him? But he was a good sport (though he did make a painful groaning noise this morning when I showed him his picture on my blog). Suppose he's having some regrets?

*****

Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.
- William James

******

"I'll be true to myself so as not to be false with others"