Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Healing old wounds


Over the last several months I’ve lost almost 20 lbs. I’m not on any kind of diet, I’ve just changed the things I eat - eliminating sugar and bread. To my surprise, losing weight put me in touch with some old unresolved feelings.

As a young girl, I was  self-conscious about being too skinny (and flat-chested). On one hand, I could eat whatever I wanted - never having to worry about calories, but on the other hand, I never felt comfortable (or even liked) my body.

My recent weight loss has stirred up feelings I didn’t know I was still carrying.

This isn’t the first time I’ve discovered unhealed issues buried away. When I stumble on one, I know it's time to do some work on myself, so I'm treating this as an opportunity to spend time with my little girl who doesn't like her body...coaching her...encouraging her... helping her to overcome it.

Are you aware of any unresolved childhood issues? Perhaps old feelings of abandonment, rejection, or low self-esteem? Unfortunately, if we ignore these feelings about ourselves, it will always affect the quality of our lives. Be willing to look deeper...

*****


It is vitally important to start paying attention to
our inner children. It does not work, it is dysfunctional,
to deny that our childhood wounds have affected our lives.
Our emotional wounds have been dictating our lives and
keeping us from loving ourselves. 
Robert Burney
*****
"I love and accept all aspects of myself"