Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Being the "giver"



If you're declare yourself to be a "giver", it's likely that you're raised in a home
where your emotional needs weren’t met.

When children don't get their needs met, they grow up to be “needful” adults.

If there is shame attached to being needy, you learn to deny your needs and
become the “giver”. The “giver” attracts needy people- giving them a false sense of security and belonging.

The "giver" confuses being needed with being loved.

The subconscious thought is: "If you need me, you'll never leave me". But trust me - they will leave you, maybe not always in the physical sense, but emotionally. You will end up feeling abandoned...over and over again.

This is my story…maybe yours too! I used to be a rescuer- seduced by the feeling of being needed- while neglecting my own needs. It set me for up for a lot of emotional abandonment and heartache. In all honesty, giving is still easier than receiving today...but I am more careful in my giving. Since discovering the wounded child in me...my first commitment is to her. 

******


"Growing into your future with health and grace
and beauty doesn’t have to take all your time. It rather
requires a dedication to caring for yourself as if you
were rare and precious..."

Victoria Moran

****

"My first commitment is to my own self-care"