Friday, February 1, 2013

Feeling good enough

 
One of my biggest hurtles in life...
 was to learn to love myself.
In earlier years, I felt terribly unworthy.
I tried to escape from that truth.
But it followed me...
 into every relationship, work place, and social event.
Nothing changed until I began working on myself.
It's been many years since I began.
So much has changed.
The woman who once felt unworthy is gone.
In her place is a woman who...
embraces her life more lightheartedly,
has the willingness to change everything that robs her joy,
and treats herself in a loving, nurturing way.
I had to break old patterns of talking harshly to myself.
I had to stop putting myself last on the list.
If I wanted to feel good about myself,
my self-talk needed to be kind.
I had to let go of perfectionism (another form of abuse),
allowing myself to make mistakes.
And most of all,
I had to learn to listen to what my needs were.

If you have issues with self-esteem, make a commitment to break old self-defeating patterns of behavior. Learn to treat yourself with the love and respect you deserve. 
 
*********

I was never a cat lover until my daughter gave me Mechi (I was told Mechi is an Asian word for "beautiful"). Mechi's sweetness won me over quickly. Sadly, I lost her five years ago to kidney failure. She will always have a special place in my heart.

********

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive;
and to do so with some passion,
some compassion,
some humor,
and some style”
Maya Angelou

*******

"I am worthy"