Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

Dad and my grandparents (mom's family)

*****
I want to write about my dad today, seeing that it's Father's Day, but I'm groping for words...
trying to find my truest feelings...so here goes...
Dad died 17 years ago...he played a huge part in my life. When he died, I thought 
I would die too...at least, the little girl in me thought so...I felt abandoned, afraid...
it took me a long time to work through the grief.

My last memory of dad, that I will always cherish, is holding his hand as he lay dying.
As a little girl, I dearly wanted to hold hands, but that wasn't dad's way of showing affection...
he was more apt to rub my shoulders...or playfully tease me...so it meant the world to me
 (and my little girl) to finally get my wish.

The old, longing ache to have my dad back has long since healed, as well as,
my abandonment issues. My feelings today are those of gratitude. I'm grateful for the years
I had...the memories we made...there were much laughter, many tears, and some good
arguments (we could both be stubborn).

Thank you dad, for being my father, teacher, friend...

****

When I was looking for a picture of dad, I came across this old picture of me.
It was taken a few years after dad was gone.

****

If you want to feel rich,
just count all of the things you have that money can't buy.

 Anonymous

***

"I chose love, forgiveness, and gratitude so that I may know peace and happiness"