Monday, February 27, 2012

A spiritual awakening

What a beautiful tree! The colors are amazing!

******

When I was sick awhile ago, I spent almost a month at home recuperating. It felt like a 30 day retreat.  No TV, no music, even minimal talking... I had the opportunity to be alone a lot. I wasn't up to doing many physical things so I spent a lot of time just being quiet and reflecting. It was the most amazing, enlightening experience I've ever had. I never got bored. I was peaceful and content.

When I first starting venturing outside my home again, I had to do it slowly. The every day noise of traffic, people...felt intrusive. I clearly witnessed how fast paced the world really is. It felt kind of crazy at first until I adjusted to it again!

As I began feeling better, my pace picked up. I started to lose some of the peace and contentment I had felt. Not entirely, but there was a noticeable difference. I saw how easy it is to get caught up in the outer world and disconnect again.

This experience taught me so many valuable things. One lesson is the importance of quiet time. It's in the quiet that we connect deeper with ourselves. I also learned that the world is too busy for me. I've lived a fast pace most of my life, but not anymore. I quit being a multi-tasker. And I do my best to fully give my attention to whatever I am doing. My mind still chatters aways...some times I get caught up in my thoughts and began thinking again...but before long though, I catch myself...I disconnect from the chattering, thinking mind...remembering that most of the chatter is junk.

There's no doubt that I had a spiritual awakening during my hospital stay. Although it wasn't fun to be sick, the gifts that came from it, are priceless. I now have a guide for living. I'm more appreciative of even the smallest things. And I love life more than I ever have. 

*******

********

“Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at the moment.”

Eckhart Tolle

******

" I enjoy my own company, flourishing in the solitude"