Saturday, February 11, 2012

Things my mom taught me


Had fun yesterday creating some new pieces!

*****

My relationship with my mom was complex. Part of me rebelled against her and another part of me wanted to be like her in some ways.We had our share of differences yet shared many things in common (cooking, crafts, cutting coupons, yard sales...).

Growing up, I was angry at her for not being there for me in the ways I needed her. Yet after I had my first child, we became friends and continued to be until the last year or so of her life. It was after my daughter died that I felt my mom pull far away from me. That hurt! I felt abandoned! But I understand now!  

She too, had gone through the heartache of losing a child (my brother) and then her beloved granddaughter (my daughter). Whatever her reason for pulling away from me was, I'm certain it had to do with her own self-preservation.

Mom died from lung cancer a few years ago. I think of her often and smile! She was a character!
 My son and I still laugh when we talk about some of the things she's did over the years (like the time she insisted we were going to have Kentucky Fried Chicken for Christmas dinner. Yuck! We had quite a disagreement over that one. She won though!  We had chicken. And it was so awful that even my mom couldn't eat one piece. Oh yeah, did I mention that she bought it two days in advance so it was soggy by the time it got to my house?)

Even though we had our differences, I'm grateful that she was my mom.
She was a good person. Over the years, she taught me some valuable things.
She taught me how to be responsible and independent.
She taught me how to manage money; pay bills on time and save for the future.
She taught me good manners; to treat others respectfully.
She taught to take good care of my things and appreciate having them.
And she taught me to keep a clean organized home...

These skills have given me a good foundation for living. Thanks mom!

******

Mom with her Tina Turner wig. She always took pride in her long blond hair but when she got cancer, her hair was falling out so my sister got her this wig. I think she looks cute!

*****

We can do no great things,
only small things with great love.

~ Mother Teresa ~

*****


"My heart is filled with gratitude"