Saturday, March 24, 2012

My Prayer


I wrote this poem in the early years of my recovery. At the time, I was in a lot of emotional pain and very afraid of what the future held. But it was pain and struggle that forced me to surrender, and in the surrender, I first began a relationship with God. 

MY PRAYER
My prayer is to let go of fear
The fear of change
The fear of what tomorrow will bring
The fear of being powerless

My prayer is to release the past
To forgive those who have hurt me
And to forgive myself
for hurting others
 
My prayer is to be the best person I can be
To offer unconditional love
To be gentle, kind,
Patient and thoughtful

My prayer is to have the faith
To trust that whatever comes my way
Will not be more than I can handle
And is for my highest good.
 
*********


*******

Faith...When you come to the edge of all the light you have,
and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown,
faith is knowing one of two things will happen:
There will be something solid to stand on,
or you will be taught how to fly.

~ Patrick Overton ~


******


"I trust that everything in my life is perfect just as it is"