Monday, March 19, 2012

The gift of friendship

After losing his parents, this 3 year old orangutan was so depressed he wouldn't eat and didn't respond to any medical treatments. The veterinarians thought he would surely die from sadness. The zoo keepers found an old sick dog on the grounds in the park at the zoo where the orangutan lived and took the dog to the animal treatment center. The dog arrived at the same time the orangutan was there being treated. The 2 lost souls met and have been inseparable ever since.
The orangutan found a new reason to live and each always tries his best to be a good
companion to his new found friend. They are together 24 hours a day in all their activities. 
They live in Northern California where swimming is their favorite past time, although Roscoe (the orangutan) is a little afraid of the water and needs his friend's help to swim.
Together they have discovered the joy and laughter in life and the value of friendship.
*******
No coincidence that I was going to write about friendship today, then got an email from a friend this morning with this news story. The pictures tell it all...

On the topic of friendship, I'd like to express my appreciation for the wonderful women I have met over the years who have inspired me....women who shared not only their hearts, but their stories...their stories have given me strength...I admire everyone of them for their uniqueness...I don't care what kind of car someone drives or if they even have one, what their job is, or where they live...I simply admire people's courage...each of these women have walked through difficult challenges...some have made the climb...some have not...I've lost friends to the disease of addiction...but their stories are embedded in my heart forever...some of these women have also been affected by their loved ones disease...a very difficult journey to walk...having to let go...trying to find some faith in what the future holds.

My heart-felt thanks to all the women who have been a part of my journey...know that each of you are special to me...you have lifted me up...given me hope...inspired me...and shaped my future. God bless!

******
******
Your task is not to seek for love,
but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself
that you have built against it.

~ A Course in Miracles ~
"My heart is open to love"