Saturday, May 30, 2015

The courage to be ourselves

 
Most people have lived their lives according to how they were conditioned as a child, myself included. I've spent a lot of years working to undo some of the beliefs that were handed to me when I was young: how I should behave, how I should think...
 
Because I've made choices based on my conditioning, it began to occur to me that the life I created wasn't mine. It consisted of a lot of shoulds, which is basically a shame word that motivated me to betray myself a thousand times in a thousand ways. I should do this...I should do that...
 
I not only betrayed myself, but I grew up to become someone I thought society would approve of rather than who I was. It has been an arduous journey finding my way back to myself. I'm still working on it.

I've found that it takes great courage and strength to be authentic and true to yourself. But it frees you in ways that I have no words to describe. Words would only dilute the beauty of it.
 
******