Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Quieting negative thoughts


We hear so much about ego these days and some of us, having the awareness of the harm it can cause, have tried to rid ourselves of it. I sure have! Recently though, I decided to lay down my sword with ego and it's irritating, endless chatter and bad advice, and let it be my teacher instead. The thought came to me that perhaps ego is using my unfinished business as a way to strength it's power which means if I resolve the issues, then there is nothing to fuel it anymore...ego will have nothing to chew on. I know that the things I've made peace with, no longer have a story attached to them. When there is no story, ego loses it's grip.
 
For instance, if you have low self-worth, ego will be harsh on others...endless stories about who did this or that wrong, in a futile attempt to build yourself up. Ego will also find ways to rip your esteem using comparison, perfectionism... When you build your esteem, ego wouldn't be able to hook you into it's stories.
 
I've been listening more to ego, letting it point to the disturbance rather than trying to quiet it. Ego will quiet on it's own when I have addressed the cause of the disturbance. It is helping me to live more mindfully. I like that!!!

****