Thursday, December 13, 2012

Grief

 
Jody's smile could light up a room, but Jack...I think he was talking...probably telling me again for the hundredth time that he doesn't like having his pic taken...
 
I wrote this to my daughter Jody, after she died (Dec. 30th 2006) and shared it on my blog last year. Today I found out that a friend of mine lost someone she loved yesterday so I felt this would be a good time to share my letter again as a reminder that though life is forever changing, love lives on forever in our hearts....

See You in My Dreams

I always feared what life would be like without you. Having to face my worst fear has given me new strength and courage. I’ve learned to live bravely.
 
I took a lot of long walks in nature to soothe my grief. Somehow it brought me feel closer to you. Did you know that dragonflies come in a rainbow of colors? I once even held a butterfly on my finger. Was it you I held?
 
When you died, it was forced me to let others in. I became unraveled, needing help with even the smallest decisions. My walls of protection crumbled.
 
I finally moved near to the beach. Do you remember my dream of being close to the ocean? After you left, I put our home up for sale. I know you spent your childhood in that home; but don’t worry. I packed up our memories and brought them with me.

Your laughter had a tinkling sound to it. It was infectious. It always made me laugh too. If I listen closely, I can still hear it.
 
Grief forced me to take off the mask that hid my pain from the world. All my life, I had created a false illusion of happiness. Now I’ve become more honest about my feelings and needs.
 
The pain of losing you brought me to my knees and closer to God.
 
Sometimes while I sleep, you visit me. At first, it was hard. Dreams of you made me weep with longing. But now it’s comforting. See you in my dreams.
 
*****
 
 
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey. 
 
~Kenji Miyazawa
 
 *****
 
 
"One thing I can count on is that life will change and only through acceptance, will I know peace."