Saturday, January 26, 2013

An unrestricted life

One of my first attempts at doing mixed media art.

*****
 
I loved the fact that there are no rules when doing mixed media art. The crazier you get with your piece, the more fun it is, and the better it looks. As you can probably see, I was still in my cocoon stage with the piece above, not quite ready to play freely...just testing out my wings.

I spent so much of my life trying to color inside the lines, wanting to be perfect. I was raised to believe that in order to be loved, you had to be a good little girl. Boy, did I ever want to be loved.
I tried to be the best little girl I could...I tried to follow the rules the rigid rules and restrictions handed to me in childhood. But I paid a high price. I lost myself...my spirit...my playfulness...my true nature.

Art has been one of the ways that has helped me reconnect to my little girl. Together, we're learning to play by new rules. No more coloring inside the lines. No more fear of making a mistake.

******


One of my newer pieces....creating it with no upper body is progress for me.
 
****
 

It is important from time to time
to slow down, to go away by yourself,
and simply Be.

~ Eileen Caddy ~


*****


"I am free to be who I am"