Monday, January 7, 2013

Healing the shame

 
There's a saying "we're as sick as our secrets". As you can probably guess, I used to have a lot of them. And because of that, there was a sickness inside of me...it was called "shame". It didn't matter if it was something I did wrong or something that was done to me, it still made me sick. I feared what the consequences would be if I told someone. I was raised to believe "you don't air your dirty laundry in public". This included the abuse in our home. In those days, it was a secret no one dared to talk about.

 I accumulated more secrets after that. Some were things that I did wrong...my own mistakes. It wasn't until I was in my early forties that I began to heal the shame I carried from keeping these secrets. With encouragement, I was finally free to talk about everything that I had tried to bury or deny.
 
When I think of a transparent life, I think of looking through a piece of glass. There is nothing hidden, right? Healing my shame has given me the ability to allow people to see who I really am, including my imperfections. There's nothing I need to hide about myself anymore...no more secrets...no more shame. 
 
Having a transparent life is truly a miraculous blessing. I wish for the same for you. Don't hold on to your secrets...share them with someone you trust.
 
"The truth shall set you free"
 
 
"Everything we do is either
an act of love or a cry for help."

~ Marianne Williamson ~
 
****
 
 
"I will not let shame hold me back from experiencing the goodness of life"