Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Being financially responsible


Being financially responsible is part of taking care of ourselves. It builds our self-esteem.

Being financially successful is making good healthy choices about money, avoiding reckless decisions that sabotage our means to pay bills, buy food, etc. There's no security in having to live paycheck to paycheck.

The state of our economy has forced many of us to question our spending, as well as our values around it. Perhaps somewhere in the process of wanting more...we stopped appreciating what we have. And what about our children who have watched us? Will they develop the same unquenchable thirst?

I feel extremely passionate that every woman should have a nest egg set aside for her future, whether she's in a relationship or not. We need to protect ourselves, instead of being vulnerable to what life brings. Twelve years ago my husband who had never been sick, died unexpectedly. Thankfully, we had prepared financially for all possibilities.

It's taken a lot of soul searching for me to decipher the difference between my wants and my needs. Here's what I've come with. I need certain things to live comfortably: healthy food, reliable transportation, a safe place to live, and a savings account. I'd also include a good bed, a soft pillow, my favorite love-worn blanket, some books and maybe a little chocolate. They're pretty simple.

What your needs? Explore your relationship with money. You may discover that fear has it's nasty tentacles wrapped around not only your wallet, but your core beliefs about worthiness. Are you sabotaging your need for security?

*********

Trauma is nothing more...
 than being stuck in what you believe.
 
Byron Katie
                    


"I have everything I need"