Saturday, February 2, 2013

Love and loss


I'm breaking anonymity this morning to express my gratitude for twelve-step programs and to tell you about my brother, Joey. Joey was a lovable crazy guy who lived life on the edge. This gifted, funny, incredibly warm-hearted man had the disease of alcoholism.
 
One of my most cherished memories of Joey is when my sister and I were visiting him at a treatment center in West Palm Beach. The three of us sat together in this beautiful serene chapel on the premises, talking about God. A monumental moment...
 
Five months later my brother was gone. He drowned...doing what he loved...scuba diving.
 
It was a huge loss, but I'm so deeply grateful for the precious months I had with him...he was sober...happy...had found God...died with some peace and dignity.
 
*******
 
Joey and his wife, Brenda. This picture captures his charm.
Joey preaching to my daughter Jody. Her journey with this disease was just beginning.
 
********
 
Don’t tell me how wonderful things will be some day.
Show me you can risk being completely at peace,
truly okay with the way things are right now in this moment...
 
Take me to the places on the earth that teach you how to dance,
the places where you can risk letting the world break your heart.
And I will take you to the places where the earth beneath my feet
and the stars overhead make my heart whole again and again.
 
     "The Dance" by Oriah Mountain Dreamer
 
"Because life is fragile, I'll remember to savor every moment"