Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sharing my book "The Gift of Change"

 
For the next couple of weeks I'll be sharing pages from one of my gift books "The Gift of Change". I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did creating it.
 
******

 The Gift of Change (Introduction)

It’s been almost fifteen years since I first began stumbling down the path towards recovery. I use the word “stumbling” because I felt like a toddler when I first began. Everything I was about to learn was very foreign to me. It was a whole new way of life.

What led me to this new path was the anguish I felt inside myself. It brought me to my knees in prayer to ask for help in a way that I had never done before.

My spirit had been crushed as a child. I learned at a young age to suppress my natural feelings. I was raised in a time where children’s voices went unheard and punishment was used to break one’s spirit. Fear forced me into a belief system that reflected the beliefs of my wounded parents. I lost my way in the world.

As I grew into adulthood, I became a people-pleaser. I never learned to trust my own instincts and my self-esteem was low. I didn’t feel like I fit in. There was a emptiness in me that I felt often.

Finding ways to be happy became harder. The choices I made for myself were not always healthy ones. A dark hole in me ached with longing for something to fill the emptiness with. Eventually, I tried numbing myself in various harmful ways only making things worse. It took me several years to reach a bottom and surrender my will. Today my life is blessed because I did.

The best thing that could have ever happened to me was to sink as low as I could go. The pain motivated me to reach out for help and become teachable. I won’t tell you that climbing back up from the trenches I fell into was easy. I had a lot to learn.

There were many lessons along the way. But over time, a transformation began to take place.

This morning I decided to challenge my body and jog instead of my usual walk. It was freeing to know that I could still run even though I hadn’t run in years. The process of healing is similar. You have to be willing to challenge your spiritual muscles, in order to grow. You have to do the things you think you can’t, such as facing your fears, healing the past, and finding a healthy belief system.

It’s my desire to share with you the things that have changed in me, in hopes that it inspires you to keep reaching for your best life. I believe that God dreams bigger dreams for us than we do for ourselves. May you surrender to receiving the riches you deserve.


She held on to the promise of hope

as she faced difficult challenges.

When she reached the other side,

she had outgrown her cocoon

to become a beautiful butterfly.
 
*****

will continue on tomorrow's post