Monday, December 12, 2011

Using food as comfort

What makes creating so special is how it puts me in touch with my story. 

*********

When I think of certain foods I ate as child, it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling, and my mouth waters. I remember dad in the kitchen making home-made taffy, grandpa frying morel mushrooms for breakfast (at my request), mom's tiny wreath-shaped butter cookies she made every Christmas, covered with colorful sprinkles and grandma's pineapple sugar cookies. Oh yum.. The joy they brought.

No doubt, there's a child in me who still longs for her favorite things. But reality is, sugar and fried food aren't my friends nowadays. I catch myself using food as comfort. Sometimes, it feels like a soft gesture. Food's one of the ways I comforted my children. Heck, I still enjoy feeding my 29 year-old son (as long as I don't have to cook it, but that's another story). Other times, I feel guilty about what I've eaten. I struggle to find a peaceful balance.

Here's what I generally have for breakfast. Warning: may sound gross, but tastes surprisingly good.

Dr. Oz's morning shake
Fresh spinach
Celery
Apple
Ginger
Lemon
A splash of fruit juice (I love strawberry, orange juice)
Dr. Oz's recipe also calls for cucumbers, but I substitute with carrots. papaya, pears or bananas.
Put it all in the juicer, blending it until you need a straw.

********

This little guy knows his purpose in life.

*******

Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. ~Jim Davis

******


"My body not only thanks me for every effort I make to nurture it, but rewards me with feeling good"