Thursday, May 10, 2012

Loving oneself is a life long romance


It's ten o-clock in the morning and I'm still in my pajamas. I've have spent the last three hours chatting with friends on the phone, leisurely doing laundry, and making myself fresh blueberry pancakes. Yummmmm. In other words, I'm being kind to myself. I have a few commitments today, but in the meantime, there's no hurry to do anything expect enjoy BEING.

I'm happy and peaceful on mornings like this, but I used to be the queen of multi-tasking. I prided myself on how much I could cram in a day. I look back now and see how much my self-worth was interwoven with what I accomplished. I didn't value myself as a person unless I was doing, giving, sacrificing...

My way of doing things today has changed. I rarely multi-task. Sometimes I'll wash dishes while I'm talking on the phone, but that's really about it. I even feel a bit guilty about that.
I still love giving, helping, getting things done, but I've learned not to sacrifice myself to achieve it. Practicing good self-care is what gives me a sense of well-being.

*****
.

"When we truly care for ourselves, it becomes possible to care far more profoundly about other people. The more alert and sensitive we are to our own needs, the more loving and generous we can be toward others." -Eda LeShan

*****

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance." -Oscar Wilde

*****
"My needs are important"