Friday, July 27, 2012

Growing wings


*****

There are times in every one's life when the losses outweigh the gains, when despair is
so great it is amazing we don't die from pain... During these radical times of desperation
I have learned there is an opportunity.

My most powerful lessons resulted from having faced my own crucifixion - felt it,
witnessed it, and died to the life I had before. I could not have resurrected stronger,
and truer, without such a radical deconstruction.

... Deconstruction means letting go of the struggle...We must allow the stripping of our
past selves, let every layer that isn't truth fall away, and trust that a new life lies past
this curve in the road.

From the book "Growing Wings" by Kirsten Jongen.

****

I've often been asked how I managed to survive the loss of a child. Kirsten's words help
explain the pain and how it changes you... My pain stripped me of the things that were
"false" about my life. The pain didn't just take from me...it gave me gifts too.

******


Naked and on my knees
years of good enough were callously stripped away
an angel took mercy and held my hand
fear not my love
good was merely insulating you from vastly great.

K. Jongen

*****

"I trust my lessons - even the hardest ones"