Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I surrender...


TWO of my favorite "bath tub" books are"Attempting Flight" and "Growing
Wings"- both written by author and artist- Kristen Jongen. Here's a sample of
 her book "Attempting Flight". She writes about her first experience taking her
 young daughter (who has an auto-immune disease) to a camp for disabled children.

   "Illness is not a secret-secret here... So, as my daughter had her first experience
away from home, we joined a new world- a world that is safe for her;
a world that understands her; a world where she can meet others going
through the same things.

I have been in the refuge camp, angry with God for making me feel isolated,
picked on and betrayed. I have been Mama Bear at her worst; furious.
 screaming, and enraged at the attack on her innocent cub. As we begin
to embrace this disease...there is solace... After a year of running, cursing, 
and blaming, the peace I have been looking for rest within. It is
a place where our family can look truth straight in the eye and instead
 of being horrified, feel mercy. And in that moment, I lay down our armor
and rest..."

****

I RELATE...many times I've had to lay down my sword, but not until I gave
 it a good fight...kicking, sobbing, bargaining...then when I have spent all my
energy resisting what I don't want to accept...I surrender.

*****


Having flown through my own limitations,  
it is impossible to ever-again live
contently on the ground.

K. Jongen

****


"I surrender my need to control my circumstances"