Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What my hearts says


I've come to see life like a delicate rose...fragile, ever-changing...how often I have been
astounded by the turn of events. This week has been one of those times.
 
When I was in my twenties, raising my kids, living in the first place I ever owned, I met
a woman (Debbi) in my neighborhood. I liked her right away. She too, had young children.
We had lots in common, bonded quickly and became best friends.
 
Years later, we parted ways...going on separate paths. I moved away, but never forgot her.
I cared for her even though we no longer communicated. I held a dream that one day we
would sit down together over a cup of hot tea, laugh at ourselves, and reminisce about the
good ole days.
 
This week I was told that my friend has been living in a nursing home for the last two years
due to a traumatic brain injury. She fell, hitting her head on concrete and has never recovered.
 
It's no surprise that the love I have for her has remained so strong, even after all these years.
There is a place in my heart that belongs to her...separation never mattered...neither will this.

I will always love this crazy, wonderful, funny, beautiful woman...but I have to let go of the
dream...there's no turning back time. I am reminded once again that life is frail, bittersweet, forgiving, precious, fleeting...and so is love.

****** 
 
 
“Some birds are not meant to be caged, that's all.
Their feathers are too bright,
their songs too sweet and wild.
 So you let them go
or when you open the cage to feed them
 they somehow fly out past you.
 
the part of you that knows it was wrong to imprison them
in the first place rejoices
but still, the place where you live is...
  empty for their departure.”

― Stephen King
 
****
 
"I hold love loosely knowing there's no promise of tomorrow"