Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Finding courage


I can lean into life easier than I used to...
being less afraid, more light-hearted.
But it wasn't always so.
 
To sum up my past, I was rigid, frightened, and stuck.
Fear was behind a lot of my decision-making.
I spent more time planning fun than having it.
I held my breath often, bracing for the next shoe to drop.
  And boy, could I awful-ize situations.
 
I'm sighing heavily as I write this.
How did I ever tolerate living this way?
My limitations were joy robbers.
 
So what's the secret formula that changed everything?
Sorry, there was no magic wand.
And believe me, I searched hard for one.
I tried everything that didn't work first, until I found what did.
Here it is:
 
Clearing out old baggage (things from the past).
 
Facing fear instead of running from it.

A new perspective on life (seeing the glass half full).

Writing lots of gratitude lists and affirmations.

Laughing at my mistakes instead of being critical.

Being willing to change everything that needs to change.

Living in the solution, not the problem.

Not taking myself, and life in general, so seriously.

Stop planning outcomes, just living on life's terms.

Finding something GREATER than myself to believe in.

This may seem like a big list. But how do you eat an elephant?
One bite at a time.
 
 
The human emotional system can be broken
down into roughly two elements:
fear and love.
Love is of the soul.
Fear is of the personality.
~ Gary Zukav
 
******
 
"Fear has no power over me anymore"