Thursday, December 20, 2012

Good self-care


 My sister's storefront...love the paintings on it.
 
When I think of certain foods I ate as child, I get a warm, fuzzy feeling and my mouth starts to water. I remember dad making home-made taffy, grandpa frying morel mushrooms for breakfast (at my request), mom's tiny wreath-shaped butter cookies she made every Christmas, covered with colored sprinkles and of course, grandma's famous pineapple sugar cookies.
 
Oh yum.. The joy they brought...

No doubt, there's a child in me who still longs for her favorite things. But reality is, sugar and fried food aren't my friends anymore. They have a negative affect on my body.
 
So I had to say goodbye to old habits...trading taffy for ginger roasted beets...butter cookies for kale marinated in lime juice...sugar cookies for raw cookies (made with nuts, agave and coconut).
 
I'm don't feel deprieved though. I've discovered how much I actually love to eat this way, and more than that, I love how it makes my body feel. 
 
So life is good in the veggie lane... 
 
P.S. I forgot to mention that I make my own ice cream without fat or refined sugars. It's made from frozen bananas. Yummmmm.......
 
*****
 
 From my sister's garden
 
Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon. 
 
~Doug Larson

***

"I remember to nourish my body"