Sunday, January 6, 2013

Answered prayers



My prayer is to let go of fear,

the fear of change,

the fear of what tomorrow will bring.

 
My prayer is to release the past,

     forgiving those who have caused me harm,

forgiving myself for the harm I have caused.
 

My prayer is to be the best I can be,

to offer unconditional love,

to be gentle, kind, patient and thoughtful.

 
My prayer is to have the faith,

to trust whatever comes my way,

will never be more than I can handle.
 
*****
 
 I wrote this simple little prayer in the early years of my recovery, many years ago. At the time, I was overwhelmed with emotional pain and turmoil...very afraid of the future and still dragging the weight of my past. Pain brought me to my knees. I had to surrender that I could not overcome all of this by myself. I asked God for help. And in surrendering, a loving, lasting relationship began.
 
So much has changed since then. Many prayers have been answered; fear has less power over me, I let go of the past, I work every day at being my best, the future no longer feels scary, I'm  freer than I ever before, and faith has become my greatest asset.

****

 
Waking up this morning, I smile,
Twenty four brand new hours are before me.
I vow to live fully in each moment
and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion. 
 
Thich Nhat Hanh
 
****
 
 
"My heart is filled with gratitude"