Friday, January 13, 2012

Free to be ME


My favorite word this year is: FREEDOM.

freedom' independence, moving with ease, lack of attachment

After examining my life, I have some goals for this year. I'm excited. 
At the moment, there's three areas I'm working on. 

The first one is my attachment to food. I love chocolate and popcorn. Both of these comforting bedtime snacks have soothed me since my daughter Jody, died. A week ago, I gave them up.
A buried layer of grief came as a result. I was ready...more healing...part of the process of letting go.

The second thing I'm changing is my relationship with money. I'm less attached to spending than I've ever been in my life. I'm also letting go of worrying about money. Letting go doesn't mean I have more money; it means I have more faith. 

The third area has to do with relationships. Freedom means I can allow people to move in and out my life without attaching needs or expectations to them. It also means making good choices in my friendships so I don't set myself up for unneccessary hurt. If someone tells me "this is who I am", I need to believe them instead of thinking I can change them. Then, in knowing who they are, it's up to me to make mindful choices about what works for me. The desperate woman who once wanted everyone to love her, isn't who I am anymore..

What does freedom mean for you? Are there things you'd like to change this year? What are they?

******
 I came across this picture yesterday of Jody and I.

"I am free to be ME"