Thursday, January 26, 2012

The heart of a child

One of my first attempts at doing mixed media art.

I loved the fact that there are no rules to follow with mixed media art. The crazier you get with your piece, the more fun it is, and the better it looks. As you can see, I was still in my cocoon stage with this piece, not quite ready to play freely...just testing out my wings.

I spent so much of my life trying to color inside the lines, wanting to be perfect. I was raised to believe that in order to be loved, you had to be a good little girl. Boy, did I ever want to be loved... I tried to be the best little girl I could, but in doing so, I lost my self...my spirit...my playfulness.. my true nature.

Art has helped me to reconnect to the little girl I used to be. Together, we're learning to play by new rules. No more coloring inside the lines. We make lots of messes... mistakes...explore...play.

******

       I often forget my age because I feel so young. No blue hair or polyester pants in my future.

                                                                         ********

It is important from time to time
to slow down, to go away by yourself,
and simply Be.

~ Eileen Caddy ~

*****


"I will be all that God created me to be"