Monday, February 25, 2013

Becoming a butterfly

 

I found this little guy crawling up my pant leg. It was a reminder that I'm a caterpillar at the moment too...going though an uncomfortable situation that's necessary for my growth...an opportunity to learn something new...but in learning something new, I have to go through the process which includes pain, self-awareness, more pain, then eventually transformation. For right now, I'm still a caterpillar.
 
*****
Most of us know the story about the well-meaning man who found a cocoon of a butterfly and after watching it struggle for awhile, decided to help it along by snipping the cocoon open. The butterfly then emerged, but it's wings were shriveled. The butterfly was never able to fly!

What the man, in his kindness and haste, did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening was forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. If we went through our lives without any obstacles, it would cripple us.
We would not be as strong as what we could have been.
We could never fly!

*****

FYI- I wrote this last year. I wanted to share it again!!!
 
In our lives, change is unavoidable, loss is unavoidable.
In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change,
lies our happiness and freedom."
 
 Buddha
 
"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered,
you will never grow."
 
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I am always changing, evolving, growing.
For this, I am grateful."