Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Overcoming fear



 Although we're expecting stormy weather (a possible hurricane) in my area,
(I wrote this on Mon.) all I see outside my window is sunshine and little droplets of
warm rain. I feel a small twinge of guilt that I haven't had one moment of distress over
the forecast. Whether it's faith or ignorance, it feels good.
 
 I will never forget the year hurricane Charlie came. My closet was filled with my pets,
 chocolate, other snacks, my favorite pillow and blanket, and of course, me. I was comforting
myself the best I could. I was really scared that year.
 
For some time though, I've been inching my way to peace. Quieting the inner disturbances
 that used to rob me of joy and serenity...disturbances such as worry, fear....

I'm not saying that I wouldn't head for the closet again if I needed to, but fear of life has
 lessened. First, I had to get honest with myself that I was afraid...afraid of many, many things
...and from there, I began to work on my fears instead of denying them.

Today, I am learning to trust life - to let go of fear and worry. There is great comfort in
knowing life is on my side.
 
*****

 
Where hope grows, miracles blossom. - Elna Rae

***
 
Faith is a bird that feels dawn breaking and sings
while it's still dark. - Rabindranath Tagore

***
 
"I release my fears"