Monday, November 21, 2011

Letting go of "stuff"

 I like to use a variety of materials in my artwork; acrylics, watercolors, textured paper, charcoal, stamping and scraps of anything cute, including napkins and tissue paper. I never know what I'm going to end up with, but that's the most exciting part of creating something.

*******

There were two big events in my life that taught me about letting go. The first time was when hurricane Charlie was about to hit, a few years back. I watched myself scrambling to pack up everything I treasured (pictures, collectibles, etc), desperate to protect my "stuff". I was afraid of losing my personal things. The hurricane came close, but there was minimal damage. However, it was a wake-up call for me. I clearly saw my attachment to "stuff". The biggest lesson in letting go was when my daughter Jody, died. It was heart-wrenching, yet it shifted my priorities. I no longer valued "stuff".  A couple months after that, I put my pretty house on the market, gave away most of my "things" and for the first time in many years, I became a renter. What I needed was a place to heal, not things to worry over. In letting go, it freed me from the burden of my attachments. I know today, that even if I lost the things I can't replace, I'd be okay. What I hold dear to me, is tucked safely in my heart. Everything else is just "stuff'".

Are you holding on somewhere too tightly? Is it causing you pain? The things you are strongly attached to and are afraid of losing, can end up becoming the source of your pain.

*******

My little haven/office/meditation room. This was about the only furniture I brought with me when I moved. After a year of renting, we bought the place and made it our home. But wherever I go next, will also be home. I've learned nothing in life is permanent, and it's okay to let go.

********


"I trust whatever the future holds for me"