Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Healing shame

Lately, the quiet voice (my intuitive one) has disappeared. The loud voice (ego/fear) has been running the show. For the moment, there's no peace within. But all things pass. The quiet voice will soon be whispering to me again. 

********

The difference between guilt and shame is "guilt says I made a mistake, shame says I'm a bad person for making a mistake". I've been thinking of my dad recently. In many ways, he was a good man, but he had some serious flaws too. He never let me forget anything I did wrong. In other words, he shamed me. He would say "remember when you screwed up" as if it were yesterday, not 10 years in the past. Shame runs deep for me. It's been one of my biggest hurtles to overcome. Dad
 never took responsibility for his mistakes. He instead, projected his shame on me. And I bought it. Hook, line, and sinker.

Is my shame completely healed? No. Making a mistake the other day, brought the shame up again. Am I willing to accept that I need to be punished for my mistakes? No way. I refuse to allow that old belief to hurt me anymore. As a human being, I'm going to make mistakes.

 Are you hiding feelings of shame because you did something incorrectly? If so, don't be hard on yourself. Welcome to my world.

*********

One of my first attempts at taking a butterfly picture. Loved it so much, I became a butterfly chaser.

********

“Success means we go to sleep at night knowing that our talents and ablities were used in a way that served others.”    Marianne Williamson

*********


"I refuse to allow shame to cripple me"