Thursday, October 8, 2026

Finally Reaching a Bottom

 I remember having thoughts of hurting myself as a child and even as an adult, prior to recovery.

The emotional pain I carried from childhood was so loud that I didn’t know how to escape it.


I tried relationships with men.

I tried drugs and alcohol.


I tried everything I could think of to make the pain go away.


But the pain only got worse.


Eventually, I reached a place where I had to admit something I had never really been willing to admit before:


That my choices to relieve the pain only cost me more pain.


And for the first time, I genuinely asked God for help.


I had prayed before.


I would ask God for help, and then the next day I would go right back to doing what I had always done.


But this time was different.


When I hit my knees, something inside me surrendered.


I didn’t know what was going to happen.


I didn’t know how much my life was about to change.


But somewhere deep inside, I knew it was different this time.


I had finally stopped trying to save myself.


And I believe God threw me a lifeline that day.


I just had to be willing to reach for it.


And I did.

1 comment:

  1. I too know this surrender and life line.Thank you for sharing this it reminds me of what life was before the surrender.God works in Indescribable ways !!

    ReplyDelete