Wednesday, October 7, 2026

When Punishment Becomes Familiar

 Was punishment used as a way to control you as a child?

It definitely was in our home.


Threats were used to make us behave, even though I didn’t have behavior problems.


And unfortunately, when pain and punishment are familiar, we are likely to grow up and  learn how to use them against ourselves.


That’s what I did as an adult.


I was hard on myself.


I criticized myself.


I expected myself to get things right.


Somehow, I carried the voice of punishment inside me long after I had left childhood behind.


It wasn’t until recovery that my life began to take a different direction.


I began to learn something completely new.


Compassion.


Self-love.


Forgiveness.


I began to understand that I didn’t have to punish myself into becoming a better person.


I could love myself into becoming more whole.


What a different way to live.


And perhaps that is one of the greatest gifts recovery has given me:


Learning that I don’t have to hurt myself to grow.


🌸 ALWAYS FEEL FREE to share in the comment section below.


1 comment:

  1. I relate , the punishment pattern was all that I knew, and unconsciously repeated it until I found recovery ,God ,My little girl and myself And today I can see that it all started because of abandonment.

    ReplyDelete