Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Being true to yourself


The painting above, was the first time I put my handwriting (with a white pen) on an art piece. I'm not crazy about my penmanship, but I'm working to embrace it. It probably goes well with my funky whimsical taste in art anyways. It was clear to me from the beginning that I wouldn't be the kind of artist who spent a lot of time with detail. I'm not concerned that the body limbs are proportioned or if the girls on my drawings even have hands. I've learned to just have fun and let things flow.

Last year I had one of my poems published by Blue Mountain Arts card company. A kind woman who worked for Blue Mountain, mentored me in an attempt to improve my style of drawing. But it didn't work. At first, I turned myself into a pretzel trying to draw the perfect body features. Her boss said that my little girl drawings needed to have hands on them.  Art for me then, became work. I was stressed, not having much fun. I was trying to do something that wasn't right for me. I wanted her approval and was excited about having my illustrations on Blue Mountain cards, but that was my ego. It was leading me down a path that wasn't right with my heart. I've often fallen in the ego trap. It can be puzzling sometimes, figuring out what's coming from my heart as opposed to my mind/ego. Needless to say, I didn't get my drawings accepted by Blue Mountain, but I learned a lot of valuable lessons from the experience. I won't tell you that I haven't fallen in the ego trap since then. But when I do, I'm able to laugh at myself more easily. I can't take myself too seriously because I make a lot of mistakes. It's a good thing I stopped trying to be perfect so I can just be ME.

 Are you free to be you? Does your ego influence your decision making? Do you listen to your heart?

**********

Another one of my funky creations using a Hickety Pickety pattern.

**********

"I am perfect just as I am"