Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Putting yourself first

Love my simple creative life.

*********

I was trained as a child to put other's needs first. No one encouraged me to find my individuality. As a result, I had poor boundaries. Through perseverance, it's improved, but can still be challenging with people I love. My first inclination is to be sympathetic to their needs before checking in with my own needs. I'd like to think my only motive is to be helpful, but truthfully, it's more about having a bad habit of people-pleasing. I was misguided as a child, taught to ignore my feelings. Self-care was considered being selfish. But that's not true. I'm committed to breaking this old icky habit.

Are you tired of being a people-pleaser? It takes a lot of work, but any habit can be broken.

********

Taken in Mexico where I went on my first cruise (and only one).

******

"When we truly care for ourselves, it becomes possible to care far more profoundly about other people. The more alert and sensitive we are to our own needs, the more loving and generous we can be toward others." -Eda LeShan

******

"I trust each person's process as being right for them. I won't interfer."