Thursday, August 6, 2026

Neuroplastic- What does This Mean?

 A few months ago, I was introduced to a word I had never heard before.

Neuroplasticity.


At first, it sounded complicated.


But as I began learning about it, something clicked.


I came to understand that sometimes the brain and nervous system can continue producing pain signals in an effort to protect us, even when that protection is no longer helpful.


In some strange way, my brain seems to believe it is helping me.


It has learned to stay on high alert.


To protect.


To brace.


To prepare for danger.


The heartbreaking part is that what may have begun as protection now feels like suffering.


I won’t pretend this has been easy.


It has been one of the greatest challenges of my life.


Every day I wake up hoping my brain and nervous system will begin to learn a new story.


A story of safety.


A story that doesn’t require pain to keep me protected.


I am incredibly grateful for the people walking beside me.


My doctors.


My support team.


My dear friends.


Their love has carried me through some very dark days.


But love alone has not made the pain disappear.


That has been difficult to accept.


Healing, it seems, cannot be rushed.


It cannot be forced.p


And it cannot happen simply because I want it badly enough.


So I find myself returning to the same place again and again.


Patience.


Compassion.


Faith.


Perhaps neuroplasticity also offers hope.


If the brain can learn patterns that keep it stuck in protection, maybe it can also learn new patterns that lead toward safety.


I don’t know how long that journey will take.


But today, I choose to believe that my brain is not my enemy.


It has been trying, in its own imperfect way, to protect me.


Now, little by little, I hope to teach it something new.


That the danger has passed.


That my body is worthy of peace.


And that healing, however slowly it comes, is still possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment