Friday, August 7, 2026

The Life Preserver

 My first introduction to God came just before I entered recovery.

I had what I can only describe as a spiritual awakening.


I won’t even try to explain it.


Words could never do it justice.


What I received was something I had searched for my entire life without knowing it.


Faith.


For the first time, I experienced a love and a presence that reached places inside me no person ever had.


It felt as though God had thrown me a life preserver at the exact moment I was drowning.


And I held on with everything I had.


Because I was drowning.


I was drowning in pain.


In shame.


In guilt.


In self-hatred.


God became my closest companion.


I talked with Him every day as though we were dear friends walking through life together.


I trusted Him.


That trust carried me through some of the darkest chapters of my life.


Even after I entered recovery, there were devastating losses.


My daughter’s death.


The many griefs that followed.


Yet through it all, I felt God’s presence beside me.


I never felt abandoned.


It was as though He held me up whenever I no longer had the strength to stand.


Looking back, I realize that my relationship with God became the safest relationship I had ever known.


He didn’t shame me.


He didn’t punish me.


He didn’t ask me to earn His love.


He simply met me where I was.


For a woman who had spent so much of her life searching for safety, it was the greatest gift I had ever received.

No comments:

Post a Comment