Sunday, September 20, 2026

Step Three - I Can Let Go

 Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

I used to think I understood surrender.


I had surrendered alcohol.


I had surrendered things I couldn’t change.


I had experienced loss.


I had learned, again and again, that life does not always ask our permission before it changes.


But pain has shown me another level of surrender.


Because this time, what I am surrendering is not simply something outside of me.


I am surrendering my need to control what happens inside me.


And that is much harder.


I want certainty.


But perhaps certainty is the very thing I am being asked to release.


My little girl doesn’t understand that.


She wants promises.


And I can’t honestly make that promise.


So I make her a different one.


I tell her:


I won’t abandon you.


I will be here.


Whatever comes, we will meet it together.


That feels much more truthful.


And perhaps that is surrender.


Not saying, Nothing will hurt me.


But saying:


Whatever comes, I don’t have to meet it alone.


Step Three is not passivity.


It isn’t giving up.


It isn’t saying that I don’t care what happens to my body.


It is releasing my demand that life unfold according to my conditions before I allow myself to live.


I can care for myself without obsessively monitoring myself.


I will not make my world smaller just because I am afraid of pain.


There will be days when I forget.


There will be days when fear takes over.


There will be days when I want to know why and when and how long.


On those days, I can come back.


Back to Step One:


I cannot control this.


Back to Step Two:


I don’t have to do this alone.


And then Step Three:


God, I give this to You.


Not because I have stopped caring.


Because I care enough about my life to stop letting fear run it.


For thirty-one years, AA has taught me that surrender is not defeat.


It is freedom.


I think I am learning that lesson again.


Perhaps alcohol was not the only thing I needed to become sober from.


Perhaps I am now becoming sober from the belief that I have to control everything in order to be safe.


And perhaps this is the deeper invitation of the first three steps:


Admit what I cannot control.


Believe I am not alone.


And then let go.


Not forever.


Just for this moment.


This breath.


This day.


And when tomorrow comes, I can surrender tomorrow then.

1 comment: