Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Half Measures Avail Us Nothing

 Today, the pain is ramped up high.

And on a day like this, I have to remember what it took for me to get sober.


And what it took for me to find my way into Al-Anon.


Both times, there was a lot of pain.


More pain than I ever imagined I could carry.


I never dreamed I would work as hard as I did in both programs.


But I did.


I’ve surprised myself over and over again.


In the beginning, I was motivated by pain.


But somewhere along the way, something changed.


I became motivated by desire.


I wanted to heal.


I wanted to understand myself.


And I came to deeply love both programs and the gifts they have given me.


I love sharing what I’ve learned with others.


Now, here I am again.


Another kind of pain.


Another place where I’m being asked to look deeper.


I have a feeling that this pain may be pushing me toward another kind of healing.


I don’t know exactly what that will look like yet.


But I know one thing about myself:


I don’t do well with half measures.


When I finally decide to walk through a door, I walk through it.


So perhaps this is another doorway.


Another opportunity to surrender.


Another opportunity to learn.


And another chapter in a journey I never expected to take.


I’ll be talking more about that in the chapters to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment