What happens when you have a very frightened, stubborn little girl living inside you?
And how much control has she really had?
I don’t think I ever realized that so much of my need for control came from her.
From a little girl who was raised to be afraid.
She learned early that if she could anticipate what might happen, stay careful, and try to control her surroundings, maybe she could stay safe.
So she grew up believing control was protection.
And I carried that belief into adulthood.
I didn’t see the frightened child underneath it.
I just knew I needed things to go a certain way.
But today, I’m seeing it differently.
I no longer want fear making my decisions.
That little girl has been running the show for a very long time.
And I understand why.
She was trying to keep us safe.
But she doesn’t have to do that job anymore.
I can comfort her.
I can love her.
But I don’t have to hand her the steering wheel.
Today, I surrender control.
And perhaps this is what freedom begins to look like:
letting my frightened little girl come along for the ride—
but no longer letting her run the show.
No comments:
Post a Comment