Uncertainty means letting go of control.
Control has been one of the ways I’ve tried to create safety my entire life. As a little girl, I learned to anticipate, watch, be careful, and figure out what others needed so I could avoid upsetting them.
As an adult, control took different forms. I helped people. I worked. I created. I searched for answers and tried to solve problems. When my body became painful, I searched for answers there too.
What is happening?
What can I do?
What should I try next?
There was always something to figure out.
So perhaps this new place feels so uncomfortable because I can’t control my way through it. I don’t know what comes next, and I don’t like not knowing.
But maybe I don’t have to fix the uncertainty. Maybe I can simply experience it.
I can feel restless without needing to escape the restlessness. I can feel uncertain without deciding something is wrong. I can be uncomfortable and still be safe.
That is a very different lesson for me.
I also don’t want to confuse surrender with giving up the things I love. I still want to create, teach, travel, and live. But perhaps there is a difference between doing something because I genuinely want to and doing something because I need to escape an uncomfortable feeling.
That distinction feels important.
Maybe I can choose.
Not react.
Not escape.
Not control.
Choose.
Perhaps that is what freedom will eventually feel like—not a life without discomfort or fear, but a life where those things don’t make my decisions for me.
Tonight, I’m still restless. I’m still uncomfortable. But maybe I don’t have to like this place yet. Maybe I simply need to get acquainted with it.
Maybe there is a space between fear and freedom—a place where I don’t have to know what comes next or rush to fill the silence.
A place where I can simply be.
Perhaps this is another kind of surrender.
Not surrendering because I’ve run out of answers, but because I no longer need to have all the answers.
I can sit.
I can breathe.
I can feel.
I can wait.
And maybe, slowly, I’ll discover that this strange place I’ve landed isn’t somewhere I need to escape.
Maybe it’s simply somewhere I’ve never learned to be.
And maybe…
No comments:
Post a Comment